Cook Time: 48 hrs 20 mins | Yield: 3 quarts
2 -3 beef bones, organic grass fed or 2 -3 lbs chicken bones, free range or 2 -3 lbs fish bones. For extra gelatin add 2 chicken feet. Optional additions: 1 onion, no need to peel just quartered, 2 carrots, rough cut 2 stalks celery, rough cut 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, to help extract minerals from the bones
Optional additions for extra flavor and minerals:
ginseng roots, burdock root, kombu – sea weed, fresh parsley, sea salt, black peppercorns, green peppercorn, garlic, bay leaf, ginger
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place bones on pan and roast for one hour or till browned. Roasting gives rich flavor and debt of color.
2. Place roasted bones, remaining ingredients and your optional ingredients in a 6 quart stock pot or crock pot cover with a gallon of filtered water.
3. Heat the broth slowly and once a boil begins, reduce heat to its lowest point, so the broth barely simmers.
4. During the first few hours of simmering, you’ll need to skim the impurities that float to the surface with a fine-mesh skimmer. Discard. I find that Grass-fed and healthy animals produce much less scum than conventional animals.
5. Do not allow the broth to come to a fast boil, and if more water is needed to keep the bones covered, add only hot water, not cold or lukewarm. The longer you cook the stock, the richer and more flavorful it will be. About 10 minutes before finishing the stock, add fresh herbs like parsley. This will impart additional mineral ions to the broth. 6. Remove from heat and let cool. Strain (use mesh strainer). When cooled, store in a gallon size glass jar in the fridge for up to 5 days, Freeze for later use. To can, use pressure canner, will last for up to a year.
Beef broth/stock: 48-72 hours
Poultry broth/stock: 24 hours
Fish broth: 8 hours
Note: Skimming fat from grass fed broth is optional. However, is suggested to remove fat from grain fed broths. To do this, once broth is chilled and strained broth the fat will rise to top and harden. Simply skim off and remove with spoon.